[FFmpeg-devel] what is h264_idct_add8()?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Sep 12 14:26:06 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 09:48:53PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 12:33:13PM -0400, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Michael, do you still have the patch that enables using idct_add8()
> >> for chroma (probably in h264.c) so I can test it performance of
> >> yasmified idct_add8 against the current code that doesn't use
> >> idct_add8()?
> >
> > i tried a bit of find and grep but it seems iam not looking at the right
> > place or not searching for the right thing
>
> So what do you suggest we do?
> a) remove the idct_add8() functions from H264DSPContext
> b) leave as-is (because I can't test the my yasm conversion is correct)
> c) convert it to yasm along with the rest, hope that it is correct
> without testing (?)
> d) something else?
>
> (A) is easiest, but (C) may have some benefit if I decide to test the
> performance benefit in the future with the yasmified version. (B)
> means duplication of code and thus sounds like a bad plan...

iam against a, i dont care about the rest, mans suggestion is possible too but
seems much work

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.