[FFmpeg-devel] Moving if(constant expression) to preprocessor?

Måns Rullgård mans
Mon Sep 20 16:08:11 CEST 2010

Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 02:31:46PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> [...]
>> > step backward,
>>
>> Huh?
>
> i mean undo what a normal forward step does
> i dont think gdb can do this

It can since version 7.0, though I have not tried it, nor have I ever
felt the need for it.

> and the debugger needs to keep track of overwritten registers and
> memory aka slow.

I don't see how it could be done quickly without a hardware trace unit.

> if iam not mistaken ive seen this in softice a decade ago

Commercial software beating open source is hardly a new phenomenon.

>> > setting breakpoints both on code
>>
>> (gdb) help b
>> (gdb) help watch
>> (gdb) help cond
>> (gdb) help disp
>
> yes but when the user alraedy knows what the commands are called chances are
> he doesnt need the help all that badly. The issue with this help system is
> a new user doesnt know what they are called and starting from this point
> its not easy

Use some imagination.  It's not that hard to guess those commands.

>> > and all that fitting on a 80x25 char page.
>>
>> A summary of the above would certainly fit.
>
> yes but there is none

So the documentation is missing a quick reference sheet.  If that's
the only flaw, I'd say it's a pretty good piece of software.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com