[FFmpeg-devel] assertions disabled for most files

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Sep 30 23:26:55 CEST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:31:18PM +0200, Mark Bertsch wrote:
> Hello Everybody,
>
> I tried several configurations, but assertions seem to be always
> disabled for most files. I checked out trunk, revision 25266, and
> release 0.6.
>
> I tried ./configure --disable-asm --disable-optimizations and also with
> --enable-debug=0 till 3. Assertions are always disabled for most files.
> Is this known or intended? I did not find anything about it.
>
> It seems that most files are affected, except the files directly in trunk.
> So e.g. libavutil/utils.c is compiled with assertions disabled, but
> ffplay.c is compiled with assertions enabled.
>
> The problem originates in libavutil/internal.h, line 29 and following:
> #if !defined(DEBUG) && !defined(NDEBUG)
> #    define NDEBUG
> #endif
> So it defaults to defining NDEBUG, if neither DEBUG nor NDEBUG is
> defined, which disables the assert macro.
>
> Configuring with --extra-cflags=-DDEBUG enables assertions globally for
> me, however I think it should be implied by --disable-optimizations or
> another configure flag. Is there a more official way to archive this?

AFIAK there is no other way
this though reminds me that i wanted to cleanup the assert system a bit

While the State exists there can be no freedom; when there is freedom there
will be no State. -- Vladimir Lenin