[FFmpeg-devel] Improve timecode support

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 11:32:34 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 01:51:10AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
[...]
> Does this support keeping timecodes when transcoding?

I'm afraid not, you indeed need to use the -timecode option for the
output.

> To elaborate a bit on the question
>
> With private options holding the timecode, transcoding could become
> tricky if for example the values where to be interpreted differently
> for 2 codecs.
> Iam not asking for transcoding support to be added just if there are
> any expected obstacles if one wanted to add it and if changes to the
> design could be made to avoid that.

You mean if timecode is muxed differently in the formats, it won't be easy
to use a common way of transmitting the timecode value between source
demuxer and destination muxer when transcoding?

I guess I completely ignored that part. If we need to transmit customized
crafted data between the demuxer and the muxer, what can are the different
ways to achieve that? Should we use the AVPacket side data?

Also, the mpeg encoder might be a specific case; we are mostly dealing
with formats with the timecode (right now mxf and dv, maybe gxf later),
but there is the exception of the mpeg encoder, see patch 2).

After a discussion on IRC, it seems there is no obvious way to do that,
and I can't tell how the API will change in that matter. So basically,
what do you propose, or what do you prefer right now given the current
API?

--
Clément B.