[FFmpeg-devel] "avconv"

Clément Bœsch ubitux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 09:26:57 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 03:27:17AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hi
>
> the last merge from qatar brought us a cloned ffmpeg.c called by them
> avconv.

On libav, ffmpeg is a deprecated avconv. The rename allows them to break
command line compatibility (simplification of -map, drop
-new{audio,video}, etc.). A warning is added in ffmpeg.c stating it is
deprecated.

> should we rename that to ffmpeg2 or ffmpeg0, ffmpeg.org or leave it
> ?

I propose to rename ffmpeg.c to ffmpeg0.c (providing ffmpeg0), and
avconv.c to ffmpeg.c (providing ffmpeg).  ffmpeg0.c should warn about the
compatibility break (let's keep the original message substituting the
binary names).

When libav will decide to drop ffmpeg.c, we'll just drop ffmpeg0.c

The new command line API is interesting and I think ffmpeg should benefit
it.

Also, AFAIK, no compatibility breaks are schedule in the other tools, but
that method should apply as well if needed.

Clément B.