[FFmpeg-devel] "avconv"

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Fri Aug 26 18:22:32 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 05:16:39PM +0200, Nicolas George wrote:
> Le septidi 27 thermidor, an CCXIX, Stefano Sabatini a écrit :
> >		    Also "ffmpeg" was never a good choice for the FFmpeg
> > converter, having a tool named like the whole project is confusing,
>
> It's not uncommon at all to have the "main" command from a project called
> like the project, even when there are additional commands. I can cite gcc,
> mkisofs, cdrecord, java, dvdauthor, fontforge, inkscape, tex, just like
> that.
>
> What really bothers me is the name of the libraries. Currently, both
> projects install libraries that are binary incompatible. Currently, the
> incompatibility is limited to ffmpeg's libraries having some fields or flags
> that libav's do not, and thus ffmpeg's libraries can replace in place
> libav's. But sooner or later they will add fields of their own and this will
> no longer work.
>
> I am really worried about what will happen then, especially since some major
> distribution ship libav's libraries.

Some of these fields can be accessed through AVOptions which makes
their offset in the structures irrlevant.

Also as you already mention distros. Are you a debian devel?
if not do you know one? Maybe one of the past package maintainers ...
We need a volunteer to make a new debian package of ffmpeg and get
this back into debian (and then ubuntu)

the users of these distros should have a choice as which libs and tools
they use

Those who are best at talking, realize last or never when they are wrong.