[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] About committership

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Thu Feb 3 00:04:48 CET 2011

On 02/02/2011 09:11 PM, Tomas H?rdin wrote:
>> I don't want to beg for getting my patches applied, I want to be able
>> to commit them myself, provided that the patches have been reviewed
>> and approved by the maintainers of the affected areas, and do the
>> commit work myself, without requiring the intervention of others.
>>
>> If this can't be achieved for some reason, that's fine, provided that
>> there is a discussion about it and is clear which are the rules
>> which govern the project to which I'm devolving my time and my work.
>
> What about a hybrid system? Something that allows eager developers to
> push, but still somehow makes sure untested commits never reach the
> public repo.
>
> Here's a modest proposal:
>
> Have a "quarantine" repository to which every

I set up the gitorious mirror for a purpose...

> maintainer/developer/committer/whatever has push access. Have the
> queueing and testing system work the quarantine repo. Finally, have the
> system push the new patches to the official repo as soon as they pass FATE.

Passing FATE shouldn't be an automatic way to the tree. Fate isn't a
100% coverage.

> This way patches can be pushed for queueing and testing by everyone, but
> obvious mistakes won't make it through the tests.

git am let you test and try every patch published to the ml already and
from day 0 I support the notion of public staging/testing tree.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux