[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump

Rob robert.swain
Fri Feb 4 09:26:45 CET 2011

2011/2/4 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>

> Alexander Strange <astrange at ithinksw.com> writes:
>
> > On Feb 3, 2011, at 3:24 PM, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> >
> >> We should definitely remove all codec-specific options in
> >> AVCodecContext. ?We should also reorder the options to work with
> >> ffmpeg-mt, like x264 does -- so that copying a codec state to a thread
> >> can be done with a memcpy instead of explicitly copying every option.
> >>
> >> That is, make a section of the struct for things that need to be
> >> thread-synced.
> >>
> >> Jason
> >
> > I want to do this, but it'd be a large API change, and one that
> > doesn't have any deprecation notices on it already. I think removing
> > many more fields might have to wait for major bump+1, which should
> > come sooner.
>
> What strategy do you suggest for getting rid of this cruft in less
> than another 3 years without upsetting too many users?

I don't think users mind if the API changes one and then remains
stable for a long period of time. Users mind if the API changes
repeatedly. Aren't API's normally researched, designed, discussed,
finalised and then implemented with the deprecation of old APIs done
only when new ones are implemented and proven to cover foreseeable use
cases?

How did we end up with avcodec_decode_audio3 or whatever it is? No
offence to the person who worked on those changes.

Regards,
Rob