[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] About committership

vmrsss vmrsss
Fri Feb 4 15:48:10 CET 2011

On 2 Feb 2011, at 14:07, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> There is really just one way to describe the new system and that is a,
> corrupted friendship economy. If you are in, great if not well you are out of
> luck.

Well Michael, frankly this was so also under you: personally, I tried three times
to get involved with the development of ffmpeg and learn just enough about a
rather messy code and totally undocumented design to contribute to it, and
you kept me out with unreasonable decisions and requests, aggressiveness
and rudeness. Mostly on topics you know very well, I grant you that, but also
topics of language design which I believe I know better than you.

Please understand that this is not an attack, I have nothing against you, I am
not resentful, I use ffmpeg for my encoding hobby every day, and am grateful
to all developers. But while I don't like the current mess, I think people are
right when they say that your personal style of management kept people out
who might have been useful to the project, even if not as good a coder as you.

In any case, it would be a pity to split ffmpeg in two, perhaps people should
try and put hard feelings aside: Michael should change his ways a great
deal, and the new committers try to involve him and work with him, all for the
greater good. Yet, if you can't do that, then in my opinion a clearcut fork is
better than a future with two (or more) unsynchronised, diverging repositories...

Regards,
-vmrsss