[FFmpeg-devel] Compromise

Luca Barbato lu_zero
Sat Feb 5 04:18:55 CET 2011

On 02/04/2011 10:29 AM, Frans de Boer wrote:
> As always M?ns is a very poor choice to be the spokes person for the
> ffmpeg community.

Mans speaks for himself, I do speak for myself.

> He has demonstrated again and again that he can't deal
> with criticism, has no demonstrable social skills and is not interested
> in the community other then developers. Users, integrators etc are of no
> concern to him.

I had been in the gentoo council for years, I had been leader for the
gentoo/ppc subproject for years, I'm using ffmpeg for my pet streaming
project. As distributor and user I'm fully aware of the issues, so is
mans even if now the are people trying to play the character
assassination game.

Mans is direct but he has no problems saying that he's wrong.

Still Mans is just one among the others. Each of us came from a
different background, all of us did and is doing his best for ffmpeg
within his capabilities.

> Many projects depend on ffmpeg, so - in my view - the ffmpeg community
> has build a responsibility towards those projects. The split up is still
> a question why, but steering towards a real split does not seem to be
> the best solution.

We (me, ronald, mans and the others) daily speak with projects using
ffmpeg in a way or another, why do you think we are less capable to take
account of that? Our (the committers) job is to make sure the patches
gets in once accepted, or do not get inside if rejected we aren't that
much steering power as committers, nor as root.

You might consider that have some power but is just because we propose
things, we implement things and usually we get to find an agreement with
a number of people on what could be worth implementing and help and get
helped achieve that.

We didn't force commits and even ask to disable automatic checks to
commit unsuitable code, somebody did and got demoted, for me is that
simple and that's the freshest glaring abuse of position from Michael.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux