[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Some git questions

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Sat Feb 5 17:10:31 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Stefano Sabatini
<stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:
> I tend to do a lot of rebasing to my local branches, for getting
> each patch "series" in shape before committing to the main repo.
> Supposing that both users and contributors pull from the repo, how
> would that affect their workflow?
> I.e. which is the consequence for the other users/committers if a
> committer rebases one branch and pushes it? Or should rebasing to
> remote repos just be disabled?

How do _you_ cope with your main development branch constantly
rebasing? You rebase your dependent branches. They would do the same
thing.

A common practice is to have many feature branches, and one main
development branch. The feature branches would change a lot, and
eventually be merged (fast-forward) to the main branch. However, the
main branch can rebase too, but hopefully not that often.

Note that even if you don't rebase your main branch people are going
to rebase anyway if your banch keeps going forward.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras