[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Nicolas George nicolas.george
Thu Feb 10 11:27:08 CET 2011

Le duodi 22 pluvi?se, an CCXIX, Ivan Kalvachev a ?crit?:
> I think that all developers should be able to review and OK patches.
> Patch monkeys should be just that, monkeys who commit/push patches
> approved by other developers.

They will tell you that this is exactly the current situation. In fact, they
actually told so.

The problem is that it is difficult to feel entitled to approve a patch when
the only power you have is to say "ok" on the mailing-list. The committers
can block a change not by criticizing it on a technical basis but just by
not bothering to apply it.

There is a lack of definite and final responsibility.

This is obvious with the "merge libavcore into libavutil" issue: we can
discuss the pros and cons for a long time, people who are in favor will
overweigh the pros and people who are against will overweigh the cons, no
one will actually change his mind. We will discuss it until Reinhard dies of
old age, or until one of the committers takes upon himself to commit it.

There is no one to make the final decision.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George