[FFmpeg-devel] [VOTE] Equality and leader team

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev
Thu Feb 10 11:45:47 CET 2011

On 2/10/11, Nicolas George <nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:
> Le duodi 22 pluvi?se, an CCXIX, Ivan Kalvachev a ?crit :
>> I think that all developers should be able to review and OK patches.
>> Patch monkeys should be just that, monkeys who commit/push patches
>> approved by other developers.
>
> They will tell you that this is exactly the current situation. In fact, they
> actually told so.
>
> The problem is that it is difficult to feel entitled to approve a patch when
> the only power you have is to say "ok" on the mailing-list. The committers
> can block a change not by criticizing it on a technical basis but just by
> not bothering to apply it.
>
> There is a lack of definite and final responsibility.
>
> This is obvious with the "merge libavcore into libavutil" issue: we can
> discuss the pros and cons for a long time, people who are in favor will
> overweigh the pros and people who are against will overweigh the cons, no
> one will actually change his mind. We will discuss it until Reinhard dies of
> old age, or until one of the committers takes upon himself to commit it.
>
> There is no one to make the final decision.

I fully agree. It may seem that I have not been clear enough.

I fully support the notion that developers should be able to commit/push code.
I just tried to explain my reasoning in logical steps.

As long as there are no written, accepted rules and obligation to
follow them, everybody who have the power could act on a whim. It
creates tension and sparks conflicts.