[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Nicolas George nicolas.george
Wed Feb 16 17:20:14 CET 2011

L'octidi 28 pluvi?se, an CCXIX, M?ns Rullg?rd a ?crit?:
> MKV does provide PTS for every frame, yet the conversion above changed
> them.  If that is not an error, I don't know what is.

Even if it is indeed an error (which I do not agree: the output time base is
better than the input), it is not an error caused by the patch we are
discussing, so stop bringing it up.

> There are no subtleties.  Correct timestamp handling is trivial if one
> assumes the container-provided ones are correct by default.

Please show me: Mr X is writing a trivial video player. His code has just
called avcodec_decode_video2:

	avcodec_decode_video2(..., &frame, ...);
	if (error || !got_frame) continue;
	frame_pts = ???;
	usleep(frame_pts - now);
	display_frame(frame);

Please show me what should go instead of "???" to work with any correct file
with most supported containers.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George