[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Peter Ross pross
Thu Feb 17 10:15:03 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 09:15:07PM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Peter Ross <pross at xvid.org> writes:

> >> A VFR stream obviously needs timestamps.  I'm not aware of any
> >> VFR-capable container providing only DTS.  In fact, I'm not aware of
> >> _any_ container providing only DTS.  Even if such a container did exist,
> >> DTS is not PTS.  PTS can, of course, be derived from DTS, decoder delay,
> >> and frame reordering, but that is not what any code in ffmpeg does, at
> >> least not correctly.
> >
> > Re your first sentence. It depends on the codec. MPEG-4 includes timestamps
> > within the codec payload (AVPacket.data).
>
> Where?

MPEG-4 encodes timebase and PTS within the VOL and VOP headers respectively. The
PTS information is used by the decoder to calculate B-frame motion vectors. Its
integral to the codec. You can find more information in ISO/IEC 14496-2; search
for 'vop_time' and 'time_base'.

-- Peter
(A907 E02F A6E5 0CD2 34CD 20D2 6760 79C5 AC40 DD6B)