[FFmpeg-devel] About guess_correct_pts / AVFrame.best_effort_timestamp

Jean-Daniel Dupas devlists
Fri Feb 18 10:13:20 CET 2011

Le 17 f?vr. 2011 ? 21:48, Nicolas George a ?crit :

> Le nonidi 29 pluvi?se, an CCXIX, Luca Barbato a ?crit :
>> I don't see why. Cramming half demuxer in libavcodec doesn't sound
>> correct.
>
> That is the other way around: determining the PTS when there is none
> requires cramming a significant part of a decoder (the parser) in the
> parser.
>
> Do you agree with the following principle:
>
> A demuxer that decodes perfectly the information in its supported format but
> does not examine the payload data at all should be acceptable.

Do not forget that using the payload data should be a failover solution, not a rule.
Some formats like mp4 (or mxf op3) support displaying the same sample multiple times (using edit list).

When reading such file, the timestamps provided by the file must not be altered by the decoder, whatever the payload timestamp is.

-- Jean-Daniel