[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump checklist

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Tue Feb 22 14:21:44 CET 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Diego Elio Petten? <flameeyes at gmail.com> wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 22/02/2011 alle 11.04 +0100, Stefano Sabatini ha scritto:
>>
>> As for the *when*, I suppose the best timing is *just after* release
>> for minimizing the impact on users.
>
> Uhm, you do know that this means that people relying on the release will
> find themselves using an ABI that has already been discarded?
>
> With my distro hat on, the bump should be done *before* the release,
> definitely not after.

We can introduce all new API, with wrappers and compatibility for old
API/ABI, for this next release. Everything is properly marked as
deprecated, new API is there, apps can directly use it.

Then next release, old API/ABI is gone, new API was already there,
magic, and it's all done.

But either way is fine with me.

Ronald