[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] The Big Bump checklist

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Feb 22 18:43:14 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 05:24:24PM +0100, Diego Elio Petten? wrote:
> Il giorno mar, 22/02/2011 alle 17.08 +0100, Stefano Sabatini ha scritto:
> >
> > 3) the old API is dropped -> API/ABI break
>
> Sorry Stefano, but I think we're really talking about different things
> here, you cannot assimilate "API/ABI break" in a single statement, the
> two are very different things.
>
> So let me rephrase a moment what IMHO should be the situation:
>
>  - whatever was deprecated when 0.6 was released gets dropped, stuff
> will break but it was given enough time to adapt (API and ABI break);
>  - the previously un-prefixed symbols are dropped/hidden from the
> libraries (ABI break);

Not sure if it matters for this, but remember that the MAX_STREAMS
change is an ABI break that IMO absolutely has to be in the next release.
API-wise it might also be a bit of an issue, e.g. it might be possible
to create integer overflows in applications that assume a fairly low
number of streams.