[FFmpeg-devel] JPEG 2000

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Feb 23 18:12:56 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 08:34:48PM +0530, Pradeepkumar Gayam wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 07:03:53PM -0800, rukhsana afroz wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My name is Rukhsana Ruby. I am looking for Loren
> > > Merritt<http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=User:Pengvado>who
> > > was the mentor for JPEG 2000 encoder and decode in GSoC last  year.
> > > The
> > > project is unfinished and I want to finish this project. If anybody has
> > an
> > > idea how to get to Loren
> > > Merritt<http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=User:Pengvado>,
> > > please let me. I truly appreciate your help. I need to see the unfinished
> > > code, document s of this mini project.
> >
> > JPEG2000 is not easy, but if you think you are smarter than the previous
> > people who worked on it. And if you convince me that you are able to finish
> > the
> > project, then iam available to help/mentor this.
> >

> What should one have to do to convince you. What would be
> the qualification task(or anything similar) for this? Finishing anything in
> small task will be ok?

a qualification task would be to choose a bug in the SOC jpeg2000 decoder.
IIRC when i tested it, it showed some artifacts/errors, fix one of these
artifact errors. This is hard and requires systematic comparission againt a
reference codec. That is adding lots of printf/av_log and comparing the outout
(unless you are very lucky in guessing where the bug is)

it is not once nor twice but times without number that the same ideas make
their appearance in the world. -- Aristotle