[FFmpeg-devel] Git switch is ready to go!

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras
Thu Jan 13 11:05:34 CET 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Tomas H?rdin <tomas.hardin at codemill.se> wrote:
> ?Janne Grunau skrev 2011-01-12 20:51:
>> I've updated http://git.videolan.org/?p=FFmpeg-sandbox.git;a=summary with
>> latest svn commit r26322.
>>
>> After installing the desired hooks tonight we are ready to switch to git
>> from my point of view.
>>
>> Janne
>
> Great!
>
> One question does come to mind: is it possible to "move" an existing git-svn
> tree to use the new git repo instead?
> Grafts look somewhat related (
> https://git.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/GraftPoint ), but someone with
> experience might want to chime in on that.

Graft points link two distinct repositories. Say FFmpeg could have the
old converted SVN history in one repository, and the new git history
in another one. Then people that want to see both could link them
together easily. This is useful if there's some bug in the SVN -> git
conversion that you want to fix later; the new git repo would not need
to change (no rebase or anything), only the graft point. This is
exactly what they did in linux when they migrated from bitkeeper on
2.6.12.

--
Felipe Contreras