[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New FFmpeg maintainership

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann
Wed Jan 19 12:19:07 CET 2011

Am 19.01.11 01:58, schrieb Diego Biurrun:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:39:24PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
>> On date Tuesday 2011-01-18 19:53:41 +0100, Attila Kinali encoded:
>>> We, the undersigned, announce that as of today FFmpeg maintainership
>>> has been assumed by a new team.  Our aim is to facilitate the
>>> development of exciting new features in a timely manner while keeping
>>> high quality standards and above all to provide a fair, productive
>>> environment for developers and contributors.
>>
>> I can understand some of the reasons for this change, and I can even
>> agree with them. But it should have been better to announce and
>> discuss publically on this list.
>>
>> This hasn't happened, and this sounds higly unrespectful for all the
>> FFmpeg developers not involved in the change.
>
> There is a time for words and there is a time for action.

I'm maintainer of some small part of FFmpeg. You, who have "assumed"
maintainership have done nothing else than assuming that I do support your
actions and in the same move have taken my maintainership from me?

Taking power this way is not the right decision. Why not go and fork off - of
course you don't want to, because you're going to loose more developers involved
than by giving them no choice and you will face the real "majority" of your actions.

I feel personal insult because of your actions. You do not gain any trust from
any involved developer in further administration of that project. At least not
from anyone you did not discuss your action with, and that's at least me.

Dictators taking power by force are not supported because of respect and
loyalty, but because a fright and arbitrariness. And arbitrariness is the way
that leads away from constitutional state.

I always recognized the FFmpeg community as a group of people who allow only
reason to prevail - but this seems to have changed.

-Thilo