[FFmpeg-devel] Preliminary announcement about the current situation

compn tempn
Fri Jan 21 04:10:32 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 04:13:58 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>Hi everyone
>
>I just wanted to say that iam as surprised as everyone else about what has
>happened in the last few hours and that some developers overtaking
>official ffmpeg and closing everyone elses write access without any kind of

yes, removing the ffmpeg repo and replacing it with the fork on the
dload page was a bad idea. listing all forks/repos would be a better
idea. hopefully this will be fixed soon.

>public discussion is kinda nasty.
>Of course its their full right to fork if they see the need for that but thats
>not exactly what they did.

if i forked, my mail to everyone would be a simple: 'we are going to
fork, you are welcome to join us on irc for development. no hard
feelings.'

of course thats easy to say now ;) who knows? maybe the announcement
can be remade and we can all be friends again. yes i am implying some
people might not be so friendly anymore, its hard not to see this.

-compn