[FFmpeg-devel] About bundled/forked copies of FFmpeg in Avidemux

Diego Elio Pettenò flameeyes
Sun Jan 23 11:40:35 CET 2011

Il giorno dom, 23/01/2011 alle 09.45 +0100, Mean ha scritto:

>    Dont mean to hijack this thread, but
>    if by "bloody copy of forked ffmpeg" you mean a tarball of
> ffmpeg-svn
> (without any change)
>     , applying some patches needed by avidemux (mainly exposing some
> internals of
>     libavcodec), and calling ffmpeg own configure/make to build
> libav*,
> yes that's true.

Yes that's a manual example of it; heck I think I even invented half of
that method at least (the "configure and make with its own buildsystem")
with xine.

But that doesn't mean it's not to be considered a "forked copy" given
that it has patched applies; and the "bloody" is for the fact that
instead of hiding the whole interface under a single convenience object,
you still install them separately with prefixes.

Does that suffice, as an explanation?

--
Diego Elio Petten? ? Flameeyes
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/