[FFmpeg-devel] Donations and what happens with them

Rob robert.swain
Thu Jan 27 09:48:56 CET 2011

On 27 January 2011 05:27, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 04:42:47PM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>> >There never where 18 people who wanted me not to be leader, there where 18
>> >people who considered the compromise of me loosing leadership and mans coming
>> >back in exchange to be worth a try. And several people refused to sign, some
>> >contacted me and told me they feel ashamed that their name is on that list.

I didn't and don't want you to be leader anymore. I lent my support
because of the goals, not because Mans was coming back.

>> I was one of this "some".

I voiced my disappointment in the way the announcement was made also.

>> I backed your opinions via private mail, but only under the condition
>> that you stop this. ?You haven't stopped this -- instead, you've gone
>> back to being your prior self in every possible worst sense of the
>> phrase.

++

When I voted C on the leadership vote a while ago that Michael should
remain leader but should adhere to all the rules and agreements that
every other project member does, I did so because I was hopeful of
improvement of Michael as a leader. Michael did a few useful things
like writing something to check his patches for formatting issues that
were causing a lot of argument. After that things went back to how
they had been. No improvement then.

When I was writing to the list at the end of last week discussing the
announcement and discussing with Michael how I felt about it, why I
lent my support to the goals and so on, Michael was discussing in a
positive way. I was hopeful that things would improve. Michael quickly
reverted to non-productive discussion.

I was hopeful, but it seems Michael will have significant difficulty
in changing for the better for whatever reasons.

>> >They belived they voted on a ultra secret compromise to bring mans back into
>> the project

I lent my support to the goals, not to a compromise of you out and
Mans in. Do not put words in my mouth.

>> "You're an incompetent leader who's drunk on power" has nothing to do
>> with anyone except yourself. ?In fact, I would have probably been more
>> supportive of the "compromise" if Mans wasn't involved and wasn't
>> coming back.
>
> well mans and diego pushing ffmpeg onto mphq where they have 100% control
> as they are root is being drunk on power.
> we moved to videolan it was discussed and agreed and publically so.

You had alienated the roots of mphq. It has been publically discussed
and agreed that FFmpeg under your reign would move to videolan.org. It
makes sense that as all the roots were on board with the goals, they
use the infrastructure that was to be deprecated.

>> > The official repository is the videolan repository, the other repository will
>> > be removed from that page.
>> > This is a decission of me as leader of the project.
>>
>> >Iam also asking diego and mans to resign as roots with this mail.
>>
>> You are insisting that everyone else resign, yet you yourself still
>> refuse to resign as "leader". ?This is ridiculous. ?You are even worse
>> than Mans and Diego: you want everyone else to give a mile when you
>> won't give a single inch.
>
> The problem is if a group of people forks they must choose a new name and
> new domain. people cannot "fork" and then pretend they are the new leadership
> of an existing project and the existing leader is no more.

As I now disagree with the way the announcement was done, I will agree
that if there had not been an overwhelming majority amongst active
developers that the group should have forked and not taken over.

> And people signing that announcement didnt even know that it would not be a
> proper fork (i talked to several of them thats why i know)

Everyone who lent their support to the announcement read it first. We
were all careful about this. If we regret it then it's due to
hindsight, lack of (time and energy for) foresight or that the
announcement was not read when asked "do you agree with this
document?".

>> I trusted that you would try to learn something -- anything -- from
>> your mistakes. ?I was wrong to do so. ?If you somehow get your way and
>> manage to sneak back into the position of "leader", I'm out of the
>> project.
>
> I wont stay as slave worker no. If i loose my leadership by a valid
> vote i leave.
> Of course iam not and never asserted to be the leader of the new maintainers
> fork. They just assert they are all of ffmpeg for which i am currently still
> leader.

I don't feel that I can respond to this last part without some further thought.

Regards,
Rob