[FFmpeg-devel] [ANNOUNCE] New FFmpeg maintainership

Balatoni Denes dbalatoni
Fri Jan 28 00:57:28 CET 2011

Hi Michael and All!

I have recently learned of this change in FFmpeg project management. As some
of you might remember I was involved in ffmpeg (and mplayer) development since
about 8 years ago, until about 4 years ago, and you might remember me for
being a vocal critic of some of the then current development policies.
I have not been following ffmpeg development lately (due to lack of time), and
due to this I do not - and cannot - take a position regarding the current
state of affairs.
But I do wanted to say that even if I disagreed with Michael in the past, he
as main developer was always forthcoming in our correspondence, and everything
he said always had a firm technical basis. His knowledge in my eyes is
unquestionable, and his contributions to the ffmpeg project and FOSS in general
is invaluable. I - and probably many others like me - have learnt very much
from Michael during those years.
For these reasons I sincerely hope that an amicable solution can be reached
even in this difficult situation, and that Michael - recognizing his
achievements - will be able to continue furthering the FFmpeg project as a
lead developer if he wants to.

thanks for reading,
best regards,
Denes

On Tuesday 18 January 2011 19:53:41 Attila Kinali wrote:
> We, the undersigned, announce that as of today FFmpeg maintainership
> has been assumed by a new team.  Our aim is to facilitate the
> development of exciting new features in a timely manner while keeping
> high quality standards and above all to provide a fair, productive
> environment for developers and contributors.
>
> Development will be structured similarly to the approach taken by the
> Linux kernel:
>
>   - Write access to the master repository is limited to the
>     maintainer team.
>
>   - Contributions shall be sent as patches to the ffmpeg-devel mailing
> list.
>
>   - All changes shall be reviewed and approved by at least one other
>     developer competent in the affected area.  This rule applies
>     equally to the maintainer team.
>
>   - Developers are encouraged to publish private repositories.
>
> The maintainer team initially comprises the following people:
>
>   Alex Converse
>   Diego Biurrun
>   Janne Grunau
>   Jason Garrett-Glaser
>   Luca Barbato
>   Mans Rullgard
>   Ronald Bultje
>
> The master source repository uses git and is hosted on ffmpeg.org:
>
>     git://git.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.git
>
> A web interface is available at
> http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary Commit notifications are
> sent to the ffmpeg-commits[1] mailing list. Devel mailing lists and IRC
> channels will continue to operate unchanged.
>
> Please direct any queries regarding the technical infrastructure to
> the root team:
>
>   Attila Kinali
>   Diego Biurrun
>   Mans Rullgard

---
What kills me, doesn't make me stronger.