[FFmpeg-devel] Donations and what happens with them

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sat Jan 29 12:38:17 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 03:29:48AM -0800, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
> But I saw this as just as much of a problem before the change, too.
> Very often, you would have some problem X and some patch Y that fixes
> it.  Patch Y isn't perfect, and doesn't solve the problem in the best
> possible way.  Reviewers suggest or insist that patch Y do complex,
> harder thing Z to solve the problem better.
>
> It never happens, and problem X remains.

I know, but before this was at least a purely _social_ problem,
any developer being fed up still could commit at the risk of a
few flames.
Now it is still a social problem, but now it is also a _technical_
problem. It also is a worse social problem because there is nobody
ultimately responsible (i.e. leader) whom you can tell to say a clear
yes or no. Yes, Michael didn't handle this particularly great (and
even tended to cause it), but I still see this change as taking away
two recourses without really reducing the issue.

> A good example is the 6ch->2ch resampling bug, which has been around
> for 2-3+ years now and is really, really embarrassing, especially
> considering the first google result has a link to a patch that applies
> cleanly to git trunk.

Hm? Not sure what it is about, but wasn't resampling _decided_ to
not be done in FFmpeg?