[FFmpeg-devel] [libav-devel] ESA Summer of Code in Space 2011

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Jul 10 00:09:47 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jul 09, 2011 at 09:26:25PM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Wednesday 2011-07-06 20:11:33 +0200, Reimar Döffinger encoded:
> > On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 08:51:16AM -0700, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> > > Proposals can be the same as for GSoC. Same for mentors. The projects
> > > are largely the same (whether you like it or not), so joint
> > > application seems easier.
> > >
> > > You can admin, I wonder how you'll word the application to make
> > > FFmpeg/Libav relate to space. :-).
> > Well, some time ago I read a video decoder test and there FFmpeg had the
> > best error concealment by far. So that's sure a reason to use it
> > if you ever want to transfer video through space with a normal codec ;-)
>
> Well I'll write something of the kind:
>
> |Describe in a few word your open-source project, why you would like to
> |participate to SOCIS and what you hope to gain by participating.
> |Space relevance (mandatory): *
> |Describe your project´s connection with space activities.
> |
> |Communication is a key aspect in space programs, being able to
> |communicate effectively and reliably, even in extreme conditions, is
> |a fundamental prerequisite.
> |
> |FFmpeg/Libav is highly focused on providing the most possible
> |reliable and robust multimedia support, and a special emphasis is
> |given on optimization issues, making it especially suited for
> |computing environments with strict memory and power requirements.
> |
> |By partecipating to SOCIS, FFmpeg/Libav may extend its capabilities
> |and focus even more on robustness/reliability features making it the
> |ideal candidate for multimedia/communication mission-critical
> |space-related tasks.

> Since I read no more replies and there are no objections, I'm going to
> create a joint FFmpeg/Libav application, for which I'll act as
> administrator (SOCIS requires a single administrator, but an
> unofficial backup admin is welcome).
>
> It is fundamental for the application success to have a page of
> ideas/proposals.
>
> I'm going to create a new page based on this:
> http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=FFmpeg_/_Libav_Summer_Of_Code_2011
>
> *Mentors and proposals are welcome*.

Some proposals:

* design & add metadata that specifies the amount of differences caused
  during compression. For scientific use lossy compression is otherwise
  difficult. (also research first if existing solutions exist and
  implementg / use them if so)

* Write code that when feeded with several images (which may be taken
  by a space probe from its surroundings) reliably calculates
  its position. And additionally identifies objects that are not its
  database
  (and make sure we dont reimplement existing free solutions here)

* Better error concealment and maybe FEC for low latency space
  comunication

The real ebay dictionary, page 2
"100% positive feedback" - "All either got their money back or didnt complain"
"Best seller ever, very honest" - "Seller refunded buyer after failed scam"