[FFmpeg-devel] Greetings

Steven Truppe admin at byteshelter.org
Fri Jul 15 12:44:06 CEST 2011

Am 11.07.2011 08:55, schrieb Steven Truppe:
> Am 11.07.2011 08:37, schrieb Andrés González:
>> On 11/07/11 07:30, Steven Truppe wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> i'm a young script writter and are currently a small helper tool
>>> that helps me converting a hirarchie of file from one format to
>>> another format (for example if you have a folder hirarchy with files
>>> with different formats and all want them to be mp3 for example [for
>>> mp3 players for example that only support this format]).
>>>
>>> Now i came to the problem that i've no clue how to find out which
>>> file extensions ffmpeg can use, also a talk on #ffmpeg doesn't
>>> helped, so i hope i get more hep here.
>>>
>> Hello Steven,
>>
>> Have you checked the online FFmpeg documentation?
>> http://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html
>>
>> You can use for example:
>>
>> ffmpeg -formats
>>
>> to see a list of supported formats.
>>
>> By the way, this kind of questions should go to the ffmpeg-user list.
>> Good luck!
>> Andrés
>>

>>> best regards,
>>> Steven Truppe
>>>

> Sorry for my bad english and using the wrong list, but someone showed
> me the -formats arguments but how does a list like:
>  DE s16be           PCM signed 16 bit big-endian format
>  DE s16le           PCM signed 16 bit little-endian format
>  DE s24be           PCM signed 24 bit big-endian format
>  DE s24le           PCM signed 24 bit little-endian format
>  DE s32be           PCM signed 32 bit big-endian format
>  DE s32le           PCM signed 32 bit little-endian format
>  DE s8              PCM signed 8 bit format
>  D  sdp             SDP
>  D  shn             raw Shorten
>  D  siff            Beam Software SIFF
>  D  smk             Smacker video
>  D  sol             Sierra SOL format
>   E svcd            MPEG-2 PS format (VOB)
>  DE swf             Flash format
>  D  thp             THP
>  D  tiertexseq      Tiertex Limited SEQ format
>  D  tta             True Audio
>  D  txd             txd format
>  DE u16be           PCM unsigned 16 bit big-endian format
>  DE u16le           PCM unsigned 16 bit little-endian format
>  DE u24be           PCM unsigned 24 bit big-endian format
>  DE u24le           PCM unsigned 24 bit little-endian format
>  DE u32be           PCM unsigned 32 bit big-endian format
>  DE u32le           PCM unsigned 32 bit little-endian format
>  DE u8              PCM unsigned 8 bit format
>  D  vc1             raw VC-1
>  D  vc1test         VC-1 test bitstream format
>   E vcd             MPEG-1 System format (VCD)
>  D  vfwcap          VFW video capture
>  D  vmd             Sierra VMD format
>   E vob             MPEG-2 PS format (VOB)
>  DE voc             Creative Voice file format
>  DE wav             WAV format
>  D  wc3movie        Wing Commander III movie format
>  D  wsaud           Westwood Studios audio format
>  D  wsvqa           Westwood Studios VQA format
>  D  wv              WavPack
>  D  xa              Maxis XA File Format
> [...]

Thanks for your fast reply,

my problem was that my console window didn't showed me the complete
output of the commands so i didn't recognized the "File formats" line.

So the second entry in a line is the file extension i'm searching for ?
because normaly a file extension is 3 characters long, but some entries
(for example E asf_stream      ASF format) are a bit confusing to me -
do these files realy have the extension .asf_stream ??

best regards,
Steven Truppe