[FFmpeg-devel] Release

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 10:33:33 CEST 2011

On 6/16/11, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi
>
> We will make the 0.7 oldabi & 0.8 master releases soon
> (yes now really) ;)
>
> if you know of serious bugs, fix them now, or report them
>
> ill update oldabi tomorrow, this will need testing to make sure its
> compatible with old abi/api so please help with that if you care about
> oldabi.
>
> thx

I have one line fix for bink audio decoding in mplayer. (ffplay itself
is not affected, probably). I'll send it right away.

I have a proposal for a numbering scheme.
Let's release:

0.7 - old abi
1.7 - new abi.

The meaning is simple. The major number indicates abi/api
compatibility. While the minor number indicate feature completeness.
This way user could easily compare different abi interfaces without
getting in confusion what is newer and what is older.

Aka in future 0.7.1 may be 0.7 with just security patches, while 0.8
would be oldabi with new features (if we still support it).

Best Regards.