[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW+FFmpeg survival guide

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Jun 24 18:57:17 CEST 2011

Peter Wimmer (Lists <peter.wimmer.lists <at> 3dtv.at> writes:

> Wouldn't it be time to make ffmpeg compile with Visual Studio instead of all
> the MinGW mess? It is really a pain for Windows developers to contribute to
> ffmpeg.

I suggest you send a patch that
a) does not make FFmpeg slower
b) does not make the source unreadable
c) does not break compilation on supported platforms (where Visual Studio is not
available)

(I believe we really can agree on these, or am I wrong?)

Since many people asked for it, but nobody sent a patch, I assume it is simply
not possible (but please correct me if I am wrong).

Otoh, I did compile FFmpeg this week on Windows (for the first time): It worked
out-of-the-box, and turned out to be significantly easier (and faster) than
installing Windows, so personally, I do not really understand the request.

Carl Eugen