[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] MinGW+FFmpeg survival guide

Axel Holzinger aholzinger at gmx.de
Sat Jun 25 18:19:18 CEST 2011

On Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:32 PM Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 09:03:52PM +0200, Axel Holzinger wrote:
> > Do you know off-hand if using a different token '/' is already
> > supported? The last time I tried (nearly a year ago) I think it
> > wasn't.
>
> The answer isn't quite as simple unfortunately.
> There are unfortunately some flags that are used directly in the
> Makefile, like -c, -o etc. they will be an issue.
> For everything else the filter function can replace absolutely
> anything with anything else.

I will have a look, thank you.

> > > However since there is no free version of ICL we'd need
> > > someone with a proper license to maintain it.
> >
> > As said before, if there is somebody willing to I will luckily
> > donate the needed licenses (win, msvc, icl) to ffmpeg. But I
> > know that maintaining is the much bigger job though.
>
> Well, I don't think it should be that much as long as it is a C99
> compiler. MSVC was never an option because not being able to use
> designated initializers just is a no-go IMO.
> I think the question is mostly how much effort it is.
> Also, VisualStudio project files is something that probably won't
> find a place, and mingw/cygwin will always be required for
> running configure I'd expect,

Not really an issue. Also making under mingw/cygwin is fine, if it
produces libs/dlls with msvc readable symbols.

> so for people who expect more than a VisualStudio-compatible
> debug build it will be a disappointment.

There has to be room for further improvements ;-)

But seriously, I think that a debug build that's buildable by standard
configure/make plus some icl specific configure switches would really
be a huge improvement and would be very helpful, especially for
understanding ffmpeg.

Regarding the release build and inline assembler, that's future music.
If the above would attract new developers coming from windows then
perhaps someone would work on the release build also.

All the best
Axel