[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Specifying KEYINT (-g) has no effect in libx264

Thomas Worth dev at rarevision.com
Sun Jun 26 15:40:45 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 8:46 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:06:16AM +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:44:02PM +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:
>>
>> Sorry, the patch without noise is attached.
>
> the issue with this patch i see is that it requires continuous
> maintaince to keep supporting all options in x264
>
> Iam not sure if we have someone who wants to do this kind of long term
> maintaince. It also would be needed to follow x264 with short delay so
> as not to lack features.
>
> To the lazy person that i am, my x264opts seems less work.

Are there any parameters that MUST be supplied with FFmpeg-native
arguments, or is it possible to send ALL x264 parameters through
x264opts? Example:

#!/bin/sh
X264_OPTS=<args here>
ffmpeg -i in.mov -an -vcodec libx264 -x264opts $X264_OPTS -y out.mp4

For what it's worth, I would prefer this over having a combination of
FFmpeg args/x264opts.