[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Specifying KEYINT (-g) has no effect in libx264

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Jun 27 00:43:42 CEST 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 04:05:24PM +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 05:46:49AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 12:06:16AM +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:
> > > On Wed, Jun 08, 2011 at 09:44:02PM +0200, Etienne Buira wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, the patch without noise is attached.
> >
> > the issue with this patch i see is that it requires continuous
> > maintaince to keep supporting all options in x264
> >
> > Iam not sure if we have someone who wants to do this kind of long term
> > maintaince. It also would be needed to follow x264 with short delay so
> > as not to lack features.
>
> Then a new feature could still be used using x264opts in the meanwhile.
>
> > To the lazy person that i am, my x264opts seems less work.
>
> Then we will have two kind of lazyness fighting :)
> My lazyness consist of trying to temper as less as possible existing
> command lines (and command line genericity).

> And the issue I see with removing usual ffmpeg options treatment is that
> it will just ignore such options silently (unless there is a way of
> erroring out I'm not aware of).

thats a more generic problem, options unsupported by a encoder dont
cause it to error out either

> Did you consider going back to libx264 ffpresets? IIRC the only issue
> was to keep them up to date with libx264 defaults, but these should not
> change very often, and I think such a check is scriptable. (all
> solutions I see are listed in the mail before the one you replied to,
> but have received no comments).

Iam happy with whatever works and people like. (and which of course
doesnt add the maintaince burden on my back)

In fact, the RIAA has been known to suggest that students drop out
of college or go to community college in order to be able to afford
settlements. -- The RIAA