[FFmpeg-devel] Where to byte swap?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Thu Mar 3 12:06:35 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 10:15:35AM +0000, Gavin Kinsey wrote:
> I have some old code I'm trying to beat into a shape suitable for merging
> into ffmpeg for supporting some CCTV formats.  Currently there is a custom
> audio codec, but after much reworking to simplify the code I've realised it
> is actually just a big endian version of ADPCM_IMA_WAV
>
> So I think it would be better to just reverse the endianness of the data and
> set the codec to ADPCM_IMA_WAV.  The question is where to do this?
>
> The byte swapped version currently only ever occurs in our custom containers
> so I could do it in the demuxer.  But I recently saw stuff on the ML that
> made me think implementing a parser might be the "proper" way to do it.
>
> Suggestions?

put it in the demuxer, theres no advantage from putting it in the parser
a decoder would have a very slight speed advantage but this seems not justified
as this is looking quite obscure and a seperate decoder would be messy

The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living from the
dead. -- Aristotle