[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg logging on stderr

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Thu Mar 10 01:59:12 CET 2011

On date Thursday 2011-03-10 00:52:09 +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd encoded:
> Stefano Sabatini <stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> writes:
>
> > On date Wednesday 2011-03-09 16:20:17 -0800, tech gro encoded:
> >> Thanks Stefano, That helped a bunch :)
> >>
> >> Is there also a way to turn off the info that comes up right after firing
> >> ffmpeg, eg:
> >>
> >> Copyright (c) 2000-2010 the FFmpeg developers
> >> built on ......
> >> libavcodec    52.72. 2 / 52.72. 2
> >> libavformat   52.64. 2 / 52.64. 2
> >> libavdevice   52. 2. 0 / 52. 2. 0
> >
> > No way, you need to parse and/or strip the header.
>
> There really should be a way.  I find that header most annoying.

The "version" header is shown before the parsing of the commandline is
done.

We could print it just before the transcode() function (or the ff*
corresponding function) is called, but since the parsing is done
before you could have the app printing an error and exit, in this case
you don't have the version message in the error log (which is annoying
in case you are reading a bug-report).

Possible solutions:
* implement pre-parsing of the commandline (overkill?)
* remove the version header, and ask the users to always report ff*
  -version when reporting bugs / asking for help (and you can bet that
  they mostly won't)
--
FFmpeg = Fierce & Fostering MultiPurpose Enhanced God