[FFmpeg-devel] (new) intermediate codec

Lars Täuber lars.taeuber
Thu Mar 10 20:49:56 CET 2011

On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 15:45:20 -0800 Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> On 03/09/2011 01:51 PM, Lars T?uber wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > this is a tentative request for a general purpose intermediate video codec within the ffmpeg project.
> > I'd like to sponsor it's developement to a certain amount.
> >
> > It should feature the following:
> > - intracoded only (possible)
> > - lossless coding (possible)
> > - multithreaded encoding
> > - multithreaded decoding
> > - supported formats:
> > --- main integer colorspaces: GRAY, RGB, YUV, RGBA, YUVA (1, 3, 4 (or more) planes)
> > --- main color depths: 8bit, 16bit (both full scaled)
> > --- main subsamplings for yuv: 4:2:0, 4:2:2, 4:4:4
> >
> > e.g.
> > RGB24, ARGB32, RGB48, (ARGB64?)
> > YUV420, YUVA444, YUV422P16, (YUVA420P16?)
> > GRAY8, GRAY16, Y400A
>
> Okay, so the requirements, distilled:
> 1) sun
> 2) moon
> 3) stars above
>
> :)

Okay, the multithreaded encoding isn't supported in ffmpeg yet.
But I said nothing about any compression performance not even in relation to the coding speed.

I thought this wouldn't be that hard for a ffmpeg dev. I might be wrong.

> Here's a bit more legwork you might be able to do: Can you put together
> in one place some samples of every single colorspace format you would
> like to support? Also, run them through the existing lossless coders
> (like HuffYUV) and post some numbers so that a potential developer knows
> what numbers to beat.

I could generate some raw videos from 16 pngs and encode a still video in every colorspace I'd like the codec to support. But isn't this a bit to trivial to be posted?

I'll try to write a codec sceleton that someone familiar with the ffmpeg internals and with mathematical background can complete.

Lars