[FFmpeg-devel] (new) intermediate codec

Lars Täuber lars.taeuber
Fri Mar 11 20:08:52 CET 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 22:57:09 +0100 Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:36:12PM +0100, Lars T?uber wrote:
> > >
> > > multiple colorspaces is a bit annoying IMHO.
> >
> > I think of something simple that just encodes planes. The RGB colorspaces could be mapped or copied to a planar representation.
> > And the arithmetic just encodes the planes independently. This way the codec could easily be enhanced when new colospaces emerge like YUV444A4P16 or ARGB64 or the like.
>
> Just ignoring the format is likely to cost significantly in
> compression efficiency.

But HuffYUV just does this. It simply supports to less color spaces. That's why I thought HuffYUV could be a good starting point for a codec with the requested features. It's frames are independent also in bytestream, and it's fast and can be decoded by multiple threads. And frame based encoding is possible too, if ffmpeg suports this one day.

Attached is a skeleton. I started from rawenc.c. Maybe someone of you or one of the GSoC students could fill in the HuffYUV or a more up to date arithmetic.

Lars