[FFmpeg-devel] (trying to be) a voice of reason

Gregory Maxwell greg
Mon Mar 14 16:18:28 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> This choice is intentionally designed to favor your group.
> This is not a fair vote
>
> If you want a fair vote you can pick an existing voting system _UNCHANGED_
> of an existing project like debian.
[snip]

I have no dog in this race, but I thought I'd make a suggestion:

If it's true that ~everyone would agree to an outcome decided by some
kind of vote,  then you should probably ask some other disinterested
group to run the election for you.  E.g. the debian folks (Software in
the Public Interest, really) ran the Wikimedia board elections
previously.   In particular, a third party run election is probably
the only way for people to believe that their votes are confidential
and that they can feel free to vote their conscience without brusing
feelings.

If it's not true that ~everyone would agree to an outcome decided by
some kind of vote, then any voting discussion is probably a waste of
time.

If it can't even be decided if voting will or will not be acceptable,
then your project is probably doomed.   As a consolation, there are
lots of other FOSS multimedia projects which can make good use of many
of ffmpeg's contributors.

Cheers!