[FFmpeg-devel] (trying to be) a voice of reason

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Mar 14 20:32:22 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 07:47:24PM +0100, madshi wrote:
> 2011/3/14 Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com>
> > On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Nicolas George <
> nicolas.george at normalesup.org> wrote:
> > > We have yet to hear from M?ns what he would want from Michael to work
> with
> > > him again. From what I have seen until now, the answer seems to be
> "never".
> > Indeed. I don't see how a vote solves that.
>
> So because two people have personal issues, the
> whole ffmpeg/libav project needs to be split in half?
>
> That reminds me of something:
>
> # 1 Kings 3:24-25
> # Then the king said, ?Bring me a sword.? So they
> # brought a sword for the king. He then gave an
> # order: ?Cut the living child in two and give half to
> # one and half to the other.?
>
> So is either side willing to compromise to show their
> true love for the project? Or do both sides insist on
> going their separate ways, resulting in ffmpeg/libav
> being cut in half, which may severely damage the
> whole project?

git merge child

> So far I haven't heard any firm commitments for
> or against a (proper) vote from either side. Would
> any of the "new leaders" be willing to commit to a
> (proper) vote and to promise to honor the final
> outcome of such vote? Michael, how about you?

the question really is what the vote is about exactly.
A vote between A and B where A means B leaves and B means
A leavs is totallly pointless

I also thought it can be done, but simply voting for equality 14:1 had no
effect, it was ignored.

Frequently ignored awnser#1 FFmpeg bugs should be sent to our bugtracker. User
questions about the command line tools should be sent to the ffmpeg-user ML.
And questions about how to use libav* should be sent to the libav-user ML.