[FFmpeg-devel] hwaccel infrastructure in libavcodec

Jean-Daniel Dupas devlists
Wed Mar 16 12:12:06 CET 2011

Le 16 mars 2011 ? 11:51, Carl Eugen Hoyos a ?crit :

> Jean-Daniel Dupas <devlists <at> shadowlab.org> writes:
>
>>> I was under the impression that the "right" API for OSX would be
>>> VideoToolBox:
>>> http://www.tuaw.com/2011/01/20/xbmc-for-ios-and-atv2-now-available/
>>> (It supports more hardware and more features, iiuc.)
>>
>> VideoToolBox it is a private framework.
>
> Doesn't XBMC provide the necessary header?
> (I did not check, but I wonder how they could use it otherwise.)
>
> Carl Eugen

Maybe, but it does not guarantee API behavior, nor API/ABI stability across OS releases (and the argument "look like it does not change between 10.5 and 10.6, so it will always remain the same" is not valid).

That said, if the FFmpeg policy has nothing against using non-documented private API, you can go this road.

-- Jean-Daniel