[FFmpeg-devel] [GSoC] Qualification Task

Mina Nagy Zaki mnzaki at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 08:54:02 CET 2011

Hi,
I've ported a small filter from sox, the 'earwax' filter, essentially a stereo
widening effect. It's a relatively simple filter, I was actually looking to
write a general sox wrapper but turns out there would be a few things that
would make this slightly difficult.

The attached patch is against the audio-filters branch from sastes-ffmpeg repo.
For reference, the SoX effect code:
http://sox.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=sox/sox;a=blob_plain;f=src/earwax.c;hb=HEAD

I've actually changed the main loop ('flow' function in earwax.c) to avoid what
looks like a bug in the sox implementation (although it could turn out to be a
trick to add delay, but the delay would be dependent on buffer size :S). The
output seems pretty similar to my ears though.
It's not a very good effect BTW :D

I've come across a bug in graph string parsing, when there's only one filter
and you use a semicolon like -af "widen;" it works without the semicolon
though.

The segfaults mentioned on IRC were actually because I was clearing out of
bounds memory and overwriting open_inputs and open_outputs in
configure_audio_filters, so a bunch of string utils where segfaulting on the
NULL names and whatnot :D my bad.

--
Mina Nagy Zaki