[FFmpeg-devel] Confusing git merges

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Mar 20 02:44:51 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 11:16:21PM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2011, at 22:24, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:

> >> If I understand the problem correctly, I think the generally accepted
> >> way to avoid it is: "Don't commit stuff and then revert it, in a tree
> >> that you're then going to offer for upstream merging".
> >
> > i have no control over the tree i pull from
> >
> > i agree with the remainder of your mail but it doesnt help due to above
>
> Would it be possible to somehow pull through an intermediate (local) repository or something like that?

Well having a local repo and cleaning  their stuff up before pulling means work
and git would only know it merged the local repo it wouldnt
know about the remote ..
Thats not looking very convenient to me.

Asymptotically faster algorithms should always be preferred if you have
asymptotical amounts of data