[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg future in regards to hardware decoding & software filtering.

Víctor Paesa victorpaesa at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:46:18 CET 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 17:37, Genevill Jevi\\\'psyo wrote:

>> > I hop that some dev’s take interest in GPU accel, I know such a thing is a
>> > massive undertaking though.  I was just curious because ffmpeg is one of the
>> > most important software’s ever developed...
>>
>> OpenCL support is something I was eyeing with myself, but for now, I
>> think it would make more sense to work on hwaccel in general first. If
>> the interface for modules is simple enough, it will be much easier to
>> add any kind of hardware support.
>>
>> Are you thinking of decoding specifically or using OpenCL for any
>> operation where it would make sense to accelerate?
>
> Thank for your response!
>
> Ok I come representing a community of videophiles on avsforum.org, those of us
> with NV cards use CoreAVC CUDA to accelerate H.264 with the hardware VP while
> st ill having the ability to preform software filter with ffdshow & AviSynth
> plugin.  The AviSynth scrips we use for MVTools2 creates tremendous load on the
> CPU so we use hardware acceleration to for decoding of the video stream to
> reduce CPU load...

Maybe it is possible to rewrite the Avisynth script (completely or
partially) as a ffmpeg video filter.
See http://ffmpeg.org/libavfilter.html

And, if you use the videolan.org git, you may leverage the MPlayer
video filters too:
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=tree;f=libavfilter/libmpcodecs;hb=HEAD

> So this is the layout: MPC-HC (any directshow player) + CoreAVC CUDA + ffdshow
> with AviSynth + madVR.
>
> CoreAVC 2.0 works perfect for those with NV cards that support CUDA but there is
> no solution for those with ATI cards, that why I was hoping ffmpeg would add
> openCL support (or other) for GPU acceleration.  Please if you know of any way
> this can be implemented let me know, we can use all the help we can get!...

Regards,
Víctor