[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg future in regards to hardware decoding & software filtering.

Genevill Jevi'psyo royal.envy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 22:37:39 CET 2011

Víctor Paesa <victorpaesa <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> Maybe it is possible to rewrite the Avisynth script (completely or
> partially) as a ffmpeg video filter.
> See http://ffmpeg.org/libavfilter.html
>
> And, if you use the videolan.org git, you may leverage the MPlayer
> video filters too:
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git;a=tree;f=libavfilter/libmpcodecs;hb=HEAD
>
> Regards,
> Víctor

Thank for your response Victor,

Unfortunately the processing would still be performed by the CPU unless I’m
missing something.

Hardware acceleration of H.264 would be more practical as it would be useful to
all ffmpeg users.  Consider that decoding a H.264 stream at a res. of 1080p with
a high bitrate creates about a 100% load on single core CPU, about 80% for
dualcore CPU, 30%~40% for qaudcore CPU which doesn't leave much room for
post-proc.  With hardware decoders the CPU would be free to perform other task
like real-time NLE.  I hop someone dev’s understands the importants of such
implementations and the different way this can be useful to ffmpeg users...

Cheers' Genevill,