[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC 2326] RTSP Keep-alive

Tim Ouellette Tim at video-dynamics.com
Wed Mar 30 21:57:23 CEST 2011

As many of you know I'm fighting a battle between a Panasonic camera and
IP STBs and a recording system.  I ran into an issue that appears to be
caused by a suggestion in the RFC for how liveness should be determined.

My RTSP stream record would quit out after two minutes.  This is due to
the fact that the RTSP keep-alive is performed by sending "OPTIONS *
RTSP/1.0" to the sending device instead of "GET_PARAMETER <URI>
RTSP/1.0"

Please see attached WireSharkDumpVLC.txt verse WireSharkDumpFFMpeg.txt
for full TCP conversation.

I am suggesting that OPTIONS be replaced by GET_PARAMETER (including
proper formatting) to maintain the keep-alive.

For Review: RTSP Keep-Alive

=-=-= FROM RFC =-=-=
  10.8 GET_PARAMETER

   The GET_PARAMETER request retrieves the value of a parameter of a
   presentation or stream specified in the URI. The content of the reply
   and response is left to the implementation. GET_PARAMETER with no
   entity body may be used to test client or server liveness ("ping").

   Example:

     S->C: GET_PARAMETER rtsp://example.com/fizzle/foo RTSP/1.0
           CSeq: 431
           Session: 12345678
=-=-= END FROM RFC =-=-=

From: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2326.txt