[FFmpeg-devel] ffmpeg and streams

Laurent Goderre laurent.goderre at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:39:49 CEST 2011

Hi,

Let me start by saying how great this tool is. Thank you very much!

I am a web developer in both .NET and Java. Recently I used ffmpeg to convert video for the web and I ran into a somewhat minor issue but was wondering if you could help with it.

First of all, ffmpeg works great as is and I do not want to modify its inner working. That being said, the tool's main function: av_transcode relies heavily on file input. This has been a problem for me because the tool I am developing require an exclusive lock for distributed computing purposes. The file being locked, I can't send that file but could send the stream that is acquired by the lock. As a work-around I had to create a copy of the input file in the temp folder and send that file instead.

It would be convinient if the code was structured in a way that the input for the av_transcode would be a stream. The main function could use the input file to create the stream but an implementer could send a stream acquired by other means.

Of course this is a nice to have and my tool still works without that but it would be a very convenient optimization for my project and potentially others.

Please let me know what you think of this suggestion.

I am looking forward to hearing back from the group.

Laurent