[FFmpeg-devel] Cooperative coding between (N)LE and FFmpeg; possibly quality improvements?

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat May 7 22:46:59 CEST 2011

On Sat, May 07, 2011 at 09:21:13PM +0200, Stefan de Konink wrote:

> I have been thinking about implementing some sort of cooperative coding
> mechanism between a (non) linear editors and FFmpeg. For all current
> video's ffmpeg is a blackbox, it guesses what is a scene switch for example.
>
> What if there was some sort of a 'hint' presented by an editor; make the
> next frame an intra-frame. Or using the knowledge of spatial positions
> layers in the editor, or their movement to express prediction.

ffmpeg has teh ability to use motion vectors from an input video
(see -me_threshold)
Iam not sure how easy this is to use though, its more intended to
use data from a libavcodec decoder than an external application.
But it could be done and the API could be improved

In a rich man's house there is no place to spit but his face.
-- Diogenes of Sinope