[FFmpeg-devel] Cooperative coding between (N)LE and FFmpeg; possibly quality improvements?

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sun May 8 00:40:37 CEST 2011

On Sat, 7 May 2011, Kieran Kunhya wrote:

>> My inspiration came from Eurosport recently where there
>> were so many
>> artifacts in the Snooker championship at scene switches
>> (MPEG2 playout).
>
> Well that's got nothing to do with non-linear-editing. Thats because the
> encoder either is awful and/or the bitrate is too low (or being statmuxed
> down).

Might be the case.

> Encoders like x264 have scenecut algorithms that are more advanced
> than NLEs.

I think you miss understood the 'scenecut' here. When in a NLE clips are
organised and placed on a timeline, it is pretty known at what time which
clip is played. To x264 this information is only available from an image -
not on meta data level, which I would like to use to hint the encoder.

> The way to fix your complaint is to help write a top-class MPEG-2 encoder:
> https://github.com/kierank/x262 Most MPEG-2 encoders are ancient.

Offtopic; although a good initiative, this will nadly not update any
hardware solution. Never the less... getting a better MPEG-2 encoder may
be a good thing given the huge installbase.

Stefan