[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Legal threat from libav admin

Herve Flores herve.flores at free.fr
Tue May 31 22:40:52 CEST 2011

Le 31 mai 2011 à 19:44, Ivan Kalvachev a écrit :

> On 5/31/11, Herve Flores <herve.flores at free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Le 30 mai 2011 à 18:26, Michael Niedermayer a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi comrades
>>>
>>> See attached image (its of a pdf i got today per email with address
>>> blacked out, i suspect i will get paper too)
>>
>> here is my comment (I didn't mail to you before, … 'cause I have not enough
>> time actually to work on it):
>>
>> logo files here (you just have to dl "favicon.png" & "ffmpeg-logo.png", and
>> replace them on your server)
>> <http://www.movieconverter-studio.com/_PUBLIC/ffmpeg/logo-new/>
>>
>> and a proposal (not ended) for the site, yours is ugly ;-)
>> <http://www.movieconverter-studio.com/_PUBLIC/ffmpeg/site-new/>
>> this is a very simple version: full text with css, and only 2 pictures (logo
>> and background)
>>
>> PS: full files here (with old files from the old thread)
>> <http://www.movieconverter-studio.com/_PUBLIC/ffmpeg/>
>>

>> PPS: I will have more time in one week
>>
>> Last: I'm illustrator, mainly working for children editors, so I well know
>> "copyright laws / author rights" in my country
>> In france, you cannot have a patent on a "mathematical symbol" (I don't know
>> US laws), so this version should be fully compliant
>> bye
>>
>> Hervé
>

> Would you provide explicit license for the use of this logo?
> We assumed that the old logo was under free license, like the rest of ffmpeg.
>
> Sorry for been too paranoid ;)

actually (and for the future real "release") :
"Logo is made by my own, based on a classic encoding video symbol and its green color comes from the yuv neutral color/specification."

The author give all rights (for all supports - for all uses, commercial or not) to the "FFmpeg Project"

(PS: French laws does not allow to give this right it more than 99 years ;-) so…)
the FFmpeg project (you will give me a better "word" if you have it) is the exlcusive owner of all rights during 99 years. It can do whatever it wants to do with it (exception of pornography, racism, etc : this is a legal sentence with rights management :-D)
The project does not have to inform the author about its use or declinaison.

bye

PPS: and if you want, we could discuss about this later (which exact owner, etc), and I will do a real -signed- cession to you (and not only a mail)

Hervé