[FFmpeg-devel] Apple Prores Encoder

Janos Menberg jmenberg at web.de
Fri Nov 11 14:31:39 CET 2011

Wasserman Anatoliy <anatoliy.wasserman <at> yandex.ua> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have developed Apple Prores Encoder.
>It has rate-control for 4profiles:'apch'-185mbps,
'apcn' - 112mbps, 'apcs' - 75mbps,'apco'-
36mbps.
>The profiles are triggered from ffmpeg command line via
'-profile' option (0-apco,1-apcs,2 -
apcn, 3 -
> apch), the default profile is apch.
> It accepts yuv422p10le pix format frames.
> It's not yet multithreaded.
>
> Checklist:
> - make fate passes
> - signed off
> - compiles standalone
>
> Regards,
> Anatoliy
>
> Attachment (0001-Apple-ProRes-encoder.patch): application/octet-stream

Dear Anatoliy,

Thank you for this wonderful work.
It's great to be able to generate ProRes file right within FFMPEG!

May I ask you a question regarding your encoder?

As a newbie developer, please forgive me if I'm wrong.
But while going though your code,
I saw that the image data is always handled as uint8_t.
Does this mean, that the encoder only supports 8bit per channel?

For example, when I read the "static int encode_slice_plane()" function,
I see that the pointer *src is handled as uint8_t.
Is my interpretation correct that this means
that only 8 bits per channel are supported?

And If yes, is it possible to implement 10 bit encoding?

Thank you for your assistance.
Janos